Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Ballade: Chicago

I am so dizzy, and my forehead aches,
and I remember that I did not eat.
Why did I not feel hunger pains and quakes?
What is the reason for this cold, white heat?
Why can't I sleep? I count the hours as fleet
time goes on, watching as the city wakes,
moving again. My body feels no pain
rising. My head is heavy, and I long to meet
smudges of faces I cannot attain.

Helpless, I watch as, full, my feeling breaks:
I try to kiss the strangers in the street.
Please let me give to anyone who takes,
or fill my mouth with winter's snow and sleet.
I am afraid I'll lie and steal and cheat
if I can't find an answer to what makes
tremors run through my body and my brain.
Surely this quest, this question, makes life sweet,
but I am left exhausted by the strain.

No comments: