Monday, February 11, 2008

Sonnets V & VI: Two Sonnets for One Man

V.

I look away from him, but still I see
the parting of his lips, his shoulder’s curve,
the movement of his lashes. Not for me
are such as these. Unknown, unpaid, I serve.

My face is turned away toward safety now,
but danger lingers anywhere he goes,
and as I close my eyes, I take a vow
to flee from hope, though constantly it grows:

innumerable kindnesses he gives;
he seeks me out; he holds me as his peer;
we laugh; we play; he tells me how he lives;
his eyes light up whenever I come near.

Oh, I’d believe he loves me, too, for sure—
if I had not seen how he honors her.


VI.

I’d ask, if I could voice my one desire,
that I might be allowed to worship you.
Beneath your banner, I would never tire.
To glorify your name, the deeds I’d do…!

If only I could honor you in song
or write you sonnets from the heart you moved…
I’d conquer continents to make you strong;
I’d recreate the world if you approved.

I’d suffer pain forever in your name.
I’d take your sins upon myself hereby:
for you, I’d burn in hell’s eternal flame.
And oh! If I might be allowed to die!

I must have your permission for each task.
Alas! My friend, it seems I may not ask.

No comments: